When you feel like giving up it is always worth having some time out to assess why you feel that way. Feelings come to you for a reason. Is it a time to pause, a time to reflect, a time to change course or, for all the right reasons, a time to quit?
On asking yourself why you want to give up there is a need for complete honesty in your response. Are you fed up with the level of effort, do you feel like you’ve put too much into it already, are you being influenced by others or are you no longer excited by the possible outcome?
The answer will hold the key to whether you are really giving up or whether you need to re-evaluate what you truly desire. If the cap no longer fits then that is a valid reason to let it go. Whereas if it is a moment of doubt brought on by others or your own personal frustration with the speed (or lack of) of the outcome then you simply need to remember:
“The moment you feel like giving up, remember all the reasons you held on for so long”
Top Tips For Not Giving Up
- Success is often closer than you think! (Many of life’s failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. Thomas Alva Edison)
- Make sure you are pursuing your desire and not someone else’s
- Even though the path may be slow know that every step counts (Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.~ Dale Carnegie)
- Be flexible and willing to change – there is never ‘only one way’ of doing or achieving anything!
- Visualise the big desire, the thing you want so much you can taste it. Attach high-value emotions to it (happiness, passion, joy, love) and take time daily to review it
If your level of desire falls below 9/10 for wanting to achieve a goal, it might not be your true desire anymore, or at least not right now. Measure it and re-evaluate.
Remember this great poem:
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don’t you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don’t give up though the pace seems slow–
You may succeed with another blow.
Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor’s cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out–
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit–
It’s when things seem worst that you must not quit.
– Author unknown
Check out this Words of Encouragement Video