How are you utilising your time? At the end of any given day can you pinpoint where you’ve spent your time; with who, doing what?
Time, much like life, is a gift. It is a fluid moving energy that is available to you to use as you see fit. It can, however, be snatched away from you without any notice, without warning, without an opportunity to change things you currently can and for these reasons it makes sense to treat it with respect.
Don’t take a day for granted, putting off the things that matter to you, promising to do today’s work tomorrow, to make that call later when you are able to make it in this moment. These constant delays speak of complacency, of endless time expectations that do not exist.
Grasp each minute of the day and use it with energy. Do your work diligently, taking time to notice what you do, how you do it and the impact it has.
Spend time with people who matter to you and give them your undivided attention. Listen attentively, connect and love openly. Let them know how precious they are with the little things you do; a hug, a kiss, a gentle touch.
Don’t waste time being cruel, deceitful or spiteful. You may never get to undo these things when you finally realise they were wrong, mistakes, unnecessary.
Instead use your time to live your dreams, to explore, to grow, to be. Laugh out loud, smile with strangers, express gratitude for the sheer pleasure of being alive! Be purposeful in your day and make each day count.
7 Ways To Make The Most Of Your Time…
- Understand how you are currently spending your time. If you always feel like the day has sailed by and you have no idea what you did, start writing it down. A tedious task this might be but if you do it accurately, you will have a clear idea of where your time is going. Maybe that 15 minutes on the internet is really 90 minutes. Maybe that 1 hour of research is three. Knowing where your time is being spent will help you make the necessary changes.
- Identify where your time is not being used effectively. Once you know where your time is going, you can decide whether it is being spent effectively or not and where you might need to make adjustments, as well as include or exclude activities.
- Know what truly matters to you & work towards it. Ensure you are making time for the things that truly matter to you; your goals (work & personal), your social time, your passions. If all your time is being spent doing one thing but not enough of the other things that truly matter, you will feel out of sync. Know what split works for you (for ex. 30% work time, 20% leisure, 25% personal growth, 10% wealth creation – the split is about what matters to you so no one can dictate this to you. And know that sometimes your split will have to shift to your ideal split over time, as you find more ways to work less and spend more time with your family, for example).
- Be aware of your body clock. Know when you are at your optimal because that is the time to do your most challenging and demanding activities. You want to put energy into the things that are going to help you create the type of day, week or month that you truly desire so if you’re a morning person, for example, tackle the tough stuff then. If you’re a night owl,
- Keep a planner or diary (or both!) Don’t leave things to chance, hoping you’ll remember everything you have to do. That often is the cause of overwhelm and you end up procrastinating as your mind is hit by all these things you need to do. Fail to plan and you plan to fail!
- Use a task management tool such as Steven Covey’s time management matrix. This helps you to compartmentalise the things you need to do and in what order based on importance (goal-oriented tasks) and urgency (time-oriented tasks).
- Make time for the things you love! If you don’t make time for the things that make your heart feel good, you will feel unfulfilled. Whether it’s a little chunk of time each day, a full day somewhere in your week or a whole weekend, have some fun, let your inner child run riot and love life.
Time is precious so release the unnecessary, do the necessary and embrace time for the joyful. Don’t waste one second… Take our FREE Productivity Online Course now!